It doesn't take long for a coop to show signs of wear and tear. I have been having problems with the door sticking and not being able to open it all the way. With my brother unable to assist me, I sat down to tackle this job myself. I am not, mind you, a carpenter in any way, shape, or form. However, I knew that I would need to remove the door and sand down the bottom to get it free flowing again. So that is where I started.
With the door off (it is heavier than it looks) I was able to get a better look at the bottom. Since I don't own a planer, I figured my sander would have to do the trick. I sanded and sanded and sanded. I fixed the stripped screw holes that held the hinges in place and figured I was good to go. Putting the door back up single handed was more of a challenge than I had originally intended. But I propped it on my foot and that made it a reasonable height to begin putting it back on the frame.
Pleased with my accomplishments I considered this a complete success! However, the hens had a nervous breakdown the whole time I was working. As you can see, they stayed far away from the project.