Saturday, June 5, 2010

TOO SOON TO GO


Last night, when I went outside to put the chickens to bed after free-ranging, I discovered that only fourteen were in the coop. I counted three different times to make sure I wasn't missing one in the rafters, but no...there were only fourteen. Frantically, I searched my brood to see which one was missing. It took me a few moments to collect my thoughts after scanning all the feathers, but then I realized Piper was missing. Piper, as seen in the picture with my cat Jazzy, was my pretty Blue Andelusian hen...barely one year old. I found her under the coop, dead. No trauma on her body. She was just gone. My heart sank, as I have lost three chickens this way. No illness, no trauma...just here one minute and gone the next. The rest of the flock is fine. Thanks be to God.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: