Monday, May 21, 2012

ARMED FORCES DAY


On Saturday May 19th, I spent the day at Silver Buckle Ranch in Brush Prairie Washington, volunteering at their Operation Free Ride event honoring all Veterans and First Responders and their families.  I love the time I spend working at the ranch.  It is a place of comfort and healing.  We work with children overcoming abuse and neglect, pairing them up with horses and teaching them how to respect, work, ride and run a ranch.  Here I am on Domingo, a very gentle horse.


It wasn't all work that day, but much fun was to be had by all.  I learned how to rope for the first time and hope to someday do it on horseback.  When it is sunny out I have to wear a wet bandanna on my head to keep me cool.  Ever since my battle with cancer, my body overheats very easily.  It's not the most glamorous look, but it keeps me outside and active.


This is Buttons, one of the ranch's miniature horses.  She works well with the smaller children who are intimidated by the very large horses.  Buttons is in her twenties but hold her age well, don't you think?  We had one gentleman attend the event who was 93yrs young and served in WWII as a pilot.  It was such an honor to meet him and shake his hand for his service to our country.

1 comment:

Sherri B. said...

Looks like it was a great day and such a good cause. Love Buttons the pony, don't you just want to stick her in your trunk and take her home?! xo