Saturday, August 25, 2012

RECENTLY RESCUED RABBIT


Yes we have done it again.  Meet the newest member of the family, Gabby.  This sweet little rabbit is only fourteen months old and has had numerous litters.  The gal who bred her didn't want her and her babies anymore and sent them packing to our local feed store.  We are very close to the people who own and work at the feed store and so they approached us to see if we had room to give Gabby a home and a new life with no more breeding.  Well, one look at this sweet face and my heart melted.  So home with us she came.


The initial introduction (with a fence between the two) with Zoey didn't go swimmingly to say the least.  Much growling and jumping around proceeded as the two sniffed each other for the first time.  The introduction is a lengthy process, but I am not convinced that these two girls will ever be BF F's.  As long as there is a fence between them, they are civil to each other.  I'm not in any hurry for these two to become roomies and in fact, I doubt they ever will.  With that in mind, we will be looking at creative ways to house them come winter.  And if they do end up getting alone, then great!  But I'm not holding my breath. 


This is the temporary housing situation.  Desperate times, called for desperate measures and we had to use Zoey's old hutch in a pinch for Gabby.  This will not be a permanent set up as I already have a hutch on layaway.  Isn't layaway great?  No interest and time to pay in installments.  Love it.  Especially for someone like me who is on a tight budget.  I figure by the time the cold winds start to blow, the hutch will be paid for and both rabbits will have a proper home.


Savannah has much to say about all this activity, but her language is not proper at this time.  I told her such language is not appropriate for a Christian lady to speak, but she just looked at me and said, "Mom, you've lost your mind."  She washes her paws to the whole ordeal and begs me to close the door on our Ark.  Silly girl.....you know mama can't promise that!

1 comment:

Leigh said...

Gabby is beautiful - so glad she has a special new home with you. Love the last photo of Savannah :-) woofs and licks from Magic xx