Friday, March 23, 2012

BESSIE


Me and my pellet gun, "Bessie" have now shot and killed three rats that were in residence under the chicken coop.  I have fallen in love with this rifle and we are forging a great relationship.  If you knew me, you would know that killing anything is hard for me...except for insects...*shiver*  I hate insects.  However, I knew that the health of my flock and neighborhood counted on me to man up and do what needed to be done.


Poisoning the rats was not an option I was willing to pursue.  I have too many precious pets and didn't want to take any risk of second hand poisoning or the like.  Besides, by poisoning the rats, they would die a horrid death.  Much worse than being shot.


I sit outside the coop, with the chickens out free ranging and out of my area.  If I am quiet enough, those rodents will boldly come to eat out of the feeder in broad daylight.  I wait until they are swinging on the feeder and then *BAM*  the job is done quickly and cleanly.


The results are happy hens that have total access to their food in peace. 

4 comments:

Molly the Airedale said...

It sounds like the perfect plan to me!

Love ya lots,
Mitch

Wyatt said...

You do what you have to do.
Chickens and Pets Good / Rats Bad!

Wyatt

Sherri B. said...

I'm so proud of you little sis...Good aim and good attitude makes for a good shot...I just made that up..hahaha, sounds good though huh? xo

Edward said...

It is a very nice looking gun and you must be a rather good shot to hit the rats on the feeder. I used to do a little shooting at home with an air rifle it was quite good fun, I was only shooting cans and things like that, do you practice by shooting with inanimate targets? Or are you just a natural ;)
Regards
Edward